We are beyond thrilled to bring you the highlights from our Coda for Startups with Al Chen. Tune into our video below to learn more about product development, building a startup, and more. To try out Coda use the following link: https://coda.link/foundersbeta
Thanks so much for joining us Al. Beyond thrilled to have you. Can you talk about a bit about your role and Coda?
- Coda is a platform that lets you build docs as powerful as apps → don’t need to be a coder to build cool stuff
- Show demo doc
What startups have you built in the past?
- KeyCuts, Cooperatize, PRSA Tri-State, blogging
What tips do you have for startups when it comes to building the first version of product? Any tips for non-technical founders?
- Use as many free tools as possible
- Build prototypes in a spreadsheet, Coda
- No-code movement: check out sites like nocode.mvp and nocode.zone
You recently wrote a post on Product Road Map. What exactly is a product road map and why is important to have a Product Road Map?
- A tool to communicate and track progress for features you are building in your product
- Helps you stay on task, know who is doing what, etc.
Maybe we can jump into a demo there here? Think having a product road map would be super useful to the startups in the community.
Check out coda product road map template: https://coda.io/t/Product-Roadmap_txK9SyEKNLt
For remote team, what are some best ways to stay organized and getting stuff done?
- Weekly/daily check-ins on Zoom
- Documentation (updating your tasks so team knows what you’re working on)
What tips do you have for startups when it comes to project management for startups?
- Have a tool (like Coda) to track all your tasks, ideas
- Don’t worry about the small details first (web hosting is more important than IG pic)
In what ways startups can use Coda to improve their processes, workflow, or operation?
- Track tasks that need to be complete
- Build a prototype of your app before you spend money on developers
- Build tools you need for other workflows like CRM, bug tracking, sales pipeline
- Eventually have an ecosystem where Makers can charge for their Coda “apps”