Are you interested in finding and funding the next big thing in technology? Do you have an eye for spotting emerging trends in AI, Cloud Infrastructure, Cybersecurity, Developer Tools, B2B SaaS and Web3 & Gaming? Do you want to work with a diverse and dynamic team of venture capitalists who share your vision and values?
If you answered yes to these questions, then you might be the perfect fit for M12, Microsoft’s corporate venture capital fund. We are looking for an Investment Partner to join our growing team, with a particular emphasis on B2B SaaS and AI as areas of focus.
M12 is not your typical Corporate Venture Capital (CVC). We are backed by one of the world’s leading technology companies, Microsoft, and we leverage its resources, network, and expertise to support our portfolio companies. We invest in early-stage startups (primarily Series A and B) across 6 thesis areas AI, Cloud Infrastructure, Cybersecurity, Developer Tools, B2B SaaS and Web3 & Gaming.
We have a track record of success having funded over 100 companies, including 15 unicorns and 6 Inclusive Product Owners (IPOs). Some of our recent exciting investments include Inworld, HiddenLayer, SGNL, and Typeface.
As an Investment Partner- M12, you will play a key role in sourcing, evaluating, and closing deals. You will also work closely with our portfolio companies and Microsoft internal stakeholders to provide strategic guidance and value-added services. You may have the opportunity to manage early in career investors and mentor them in all aspects of venture investing. Every leader on our team is a “player / coach” – meaning you are a individual contributor, with attention to detail and willingness to get into the weeds, build your own models, make your own diligence calls, while also managing and mentoring earlier in career investors on a deal team.
At M12, we value diversity and welcome new perspectives to our team. We believe that a culture of accountability, continuous learning, inclusivity, teamwork, transparency, and trust are essential for our success. We are looking for people who share our passion and mission to accelerate the future of technology through strategic investments and meaningful partnerships with Microsoft.
Define Strategy for Investment Thesis and Make Investments
- Define and develop the investment strategy for one or more key thesis area(s) by performing market research and analysis. Utilize insights from industry experts (including founders, venture capitalists, executives) to evaluate market opportunities, including long-term potential, unfulfilled customer and user needs, market dynamics, and competitive landscape.
- Drive to completion 2-3 investments (Series A, B) per calendar year; support investing team on additional investments
Use Industry Connections and Generate Deal Flow
- Use your industry network to drive deal sourcing and nurture executive relationships within startup and venture ecosystems, ensuring a high volume of sourcing opportunities.
- Proactively identify, evaluate, and engage with companies with potential for investment to generate deal flow for top-tier deals.
- Lead and conduct rigorous diligence including reviewing financial models, building exit analyses, interviewing customers, founders, executive management, analyzing Go-To-Market (GTM) strategy, market sizing, etc.
- Create investment deal memo based on extensive 1st-party and 3rd-party research analysis.
- Drive deals to successful conclusion by engaging collaboratively with cross functional colleagues (legal, finance, treasury).
Support Portfolio Companies and Collaborate with Microsoft Colleagues
- Contribute to portfolio companies’ growth by assisting in executive recruitment, fundraising, and guiding the company through the initial building phase (Go-To-Market, Product Business development).
- Serve as board observer or board director on 3+ M12 portfolio companies
- Establish trusted relationships and confidently interact with Microsoft executives, delivering presentations on relevant industry trends, competitive landscapes, etc.
- Coach, mentor and potentially manage early in career investors.
- Evangelize M12 internally and externally as a thought leader in 1-2 thesis areas via industry events, press interviews, blog posts and in interactions with Microsoft executives
To apply for this job please visit jobs.careers.microsoft.com.