R-LABS (“Our Labs”) is a partnership of innovative corporations and game-changing entrepreneurs focused exclusively on problems in real estate and housing. Through our proprietary venture building platform, R-LABS co-creates and helps cultivate companies with new business models, to generate a positive impact on the community and build considerable value. R-LABS = Return on Society + Return on Investment.
The only one of our kind, R-LABS is the real estate industry’s venture builder. Innovation is a crucial part of our operation, and is central to our ecosystem focused on making a sustainable high impact. We are a start-up factory, launching and supporting fast-moving companies that benefit from our expertise, networks, funding and leadership. Real estate and housing are essential to everyone, but have complicated challenges that require innovative action. We draw upon granular insights and deep knowledge to address the many interrelated industry problems to bring about transformative change.
We’re looking for self-starters, critical thinkers and initiative takers to join our dynamic team of leaders. Innovation is in our DNA. If it’s in yours, join us in making a difference in the way great companies are built and major problems in real estate and housing are solved.
Who we need
We are looking for a Venture Associate to join a cross-functional team of investment, technology, venture, and operations professionals. You will work alongside world-class entrepreneurs, operators, technologists, and investment professionals to ingest industry problems, break them down into specific customer pain points, and coordinate Lab resources to conceptualize, validate, and launch venture-scale companies. You will influence key stakeholders to either push the project through to new company formation or press pause and focus the Lab’s efforts and resources elsewhere.
What’s in it for you
Innovation. This is a massive financial space with a tremendous number of problem domains being addressed by our companies. At R-LABS, we’re providing the framework and the connections that nurtures an entrepreneurial environment for innovators to explore the space and uncover the solutions the industry needs. Anyone joining us will gain an incredible amount of exposure into the innovative ways problem-solving in real estate can be undertaken.
Impact and empowerment. We are a purpose-driven company, building great companies that are improving the future in real estate. This is a place where your perspectives, your voice, and your ideas are welcomed.
Exposure, opportunity, and growth. It’s no secret that venture building is a tough industry to break into, almost as tough as starting and scaling a new company. At R-LABS, you will gain insights into our platform, our network, and our process alongside experienced entrepreneurial talent and some of the biggest names in real estate. You will be directly involved in launching new companies from scratch, applying your knowledge and further developing your expertise in venture building. Whether you want to grow with us as we scale, move into one of our partner companies as a cofounder, launch your own venture, or transition into a traditional venture firm, the exposure and insights you gain here will be invaluable in your future choices.
You will focus on:
- Research. You will “get out of the building” to capture and represent the customer’s voice, focusing on identifying measurable problems and opportunities across the real estate industry. You will lead 1:1 user interviews, documenting quotes, stories, and discussions to bring it all together to identify key assumptions, patterns of insights, and opportunities that will inform the overall strategy and viability of new business concepts. You will also dive into traditional online and offline research to understand trends, competitive offerings, market dynamics, customer needs, and more.
- Business design. You will approach the new business design with evidence-based learning and hypothesis testing, translating needs into a Lean Canvas and full Business Model Canvas creation (read more about the R-LABS Venture Process on our website).
- Pitch and prototype. You will create and present customer and investor pitches and serve as a project lead to prototype and iterate new business models. You will advocate for the advancement or suspension of each project (from ideation to new company formation) with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Financials. You will develop a deep understanding of the business strategy so as to outline its resource needs, cost structure, and economic model while ideating new and disruptive revenue model options.
- The end game. You will maintain a customer-centric mindset throughout the validation and business-model phases to create scalable go-to-market plans for the initial pilot and growth stages of spinout companies, always ensuring the end user is top-of-mind.
- Stakeholder management. You will strategically manage expectations up and down, diving into the details to maintain an in-depth understanding of every project and every venture at every stage, while maintaining alignment with stakeholders inside and outside the Lab. You will rapidly respond to changes, pivot when needed, optimize as required, add or reallocate resources, and advocate for specific choices.
- Team leadership. You will guide the work of analysts and collaborate with the technology, marketing, and investment teams to hit milestones and manage expectations. You will plan and lead meetings, ensuring transparent communication and knowledge sharing. You will assign work and ensure tasks are completed on time and in full.
You will bring:
- High integrity and credibility. You care deeply about doing the right thing, in all things.
- Strong communication. You have exceptional presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal. You possess an accomplished presence in public settings and a knowledge of ways to utilize communications to promote the vision and value proposition of the ventures.
- An entrepreneurial spirit. You are resourceful. You have client-facing experience or a proclivity to sell and develop new businesses. You thrive under a certain level of chaos and uncertainty and are motivated by a desire to have an impact and win. You may have been a founding partner of a company. You have experienced the ups and downs of winning and learning amidst new business creation.
- Relevant experience. You may have worked as an Analyst or an Associate at a management consulting, investment banking, or venture capital firm, or you have been a founder (successful or not). You have experience designing and launching new ventures or products. You can innovate or expand on solutions, following and iterating on the stages of design thinking: empathize, define, ideate, prototype, user test, and optimize. You are adept at designing business models, conducting market research, and building financial modelling. You are resourceful in your approach, thinking beyond what is obvious to create new approaches.
- A bias for action. You are a doer, not just a manager of doers. You are willing to do the job regardless of role. You do what has to be done with no ego or pride issues. You know how to balance this trait with knowing when to delegate or step back.
- An appreciation for details. You are highly analytical, taking a systems approach to understanding problems and determining potential outcomes, considering the various (and often competing) issues, timeframes, and priorities while appreciating the interconnectedness of things.
- Team leadership. You are collaborative and flexible as a member of an interdisciplinary cross-functional team, yet also comfortable and disciplined enough as a self-starter to operate with a high degree of autonomy. You have experience leading project teams, removing barriers, navigating conflict, and achieving deliverables. You can inspire those around you and aim to exceed expectations.
- Persuasiveness. You are an engaging storyteller who can influence the decisions of others, gaining buy-in and confidence in your ideas and plans. You can find, access, and interview key stakeholders to create needed customer and market discovery. You are comfortable facilitating sessions for small and large groups.
To apply for this job please visit careers.rlabs.ca.