Compensation Intelligence for Better Pay Decisions
Compensation accounts for up to 70% of an organization’s total operating costs, yet the processes and tools used to determine who gets paid what, why, and how is still painfully convoluted and manual. How is this possible? Believe it or not, most companies are still using a dizzying amount of spreadsheets that ultimately leaves leadership guessing and the employees puzzled or worse yet, unfairly compensated.
Barley is a venture-backed startup focused on building solutions for a vast array of compensation challenges (from managing salary bands to conducting pay equity analysis). With Barley’s Compensation Management platform, our goal is to empower organizations to make better pay decisions.
Remote-First Across Two Hiring Hubs: Barley is a remote-first company that supports a flexible approach to work. Our team is co-located across two hiring hubs (Toronto and Vancouver). While we all predominately work remotely (i.e. work from home) , we offer dedicated offices in both Toronto and Vancouver so that our team can collaborate and come together in-person, as desired.
What You’ll Be Doing:
– Rapidly building front-end features as we work towards launching the initial version of the Barley platform
– Collaborating closely with engineering, product, and design team members in an agile environment (strong understanding of Scrum/Kanban)
– Building with a strong understanding of web interactions and user experience
– Collaborating with back-end engineers to develop API’s
– Taking initiative to understand “the why” of what you’re building, the business context, and user problems to propose improvements, eliminate gaps, and reduce risk
– Choosing between taking quick shortcuts to find product/market fit vs. build deeper scalable product in the early days of a startup
– Implementing product with strong security and data privacy top of mind
Experience and Skills You’ll Bring to the Team:
– Professional experience shipping modern web applications to market
– Collaborating with Design on building design systems and implementing using tools such as emotion.js (styled components) and/or Chakra
– Understanding of web application testing strategies to build high quality products including technologies such as Cypress and Jest
– Proactive in bringing your experience to the team to help establish best practices
– Relentless curiosity to learn new things and receptive to feedback
– Experience building data visualizations is a PLUS
– Hands-on experience with deployments and CI/CD such as Github Actions is a PLUS
– University degree in Computer Engineering/Science, or equivalent is a PLUS
– Having experience building a product from the ground up and have launched new products to market is a PLUS
– Experience in business-to-business (B2B) SaaS software is a PLUS
Why You’ll Love Working At Barley:
– As an early member of the Barley team, you’ll play a key role in setting the stage for future employees
– You’ll help push forward an important mission of driving more rational and equitable pay
– You’ll have a piece of the pie – every Barley employee participates in our stock option plan
– A generous vacation policy and full health and benefits coverage that kick in on your first day
– An annual learning and development allowance to invest in your professional growth
– You’ll be equipped with a MacBook, monitor, and accessories (plus a Workspace Allowance)
– We’re a remote-first company, but also have offices in Toronto and Vancouver for the option to collaborate in-person
– We host fun company-sponsored events (e.g. team dinners) as well as multi-day off sites (like our annual retreat that was last hosted in Whistler, BC)
Our Interview Process:
– Screening Interview: This is a 30 minute phone call or Zoom meeting where we’ll share more about the role, learn about your background / experience (and alignment to the position), and answer any questions you may have
– Skills Interview: This is a 1.5 hour Zoom meeting where we will assess your technical skills. It includes a live coding exercise as well as some technical experience questions. No take home exercises or homework.
– Experience Interview: This is a 1.5 hour Zoom meeting where we will conduct a chronological walkthrough of your career journey. This is where we learn more about your successes, challenges, major inflection points that brought you to where you are today.
At Barley, we believe that more transparent compensation practices support more equitable pay for all. Depending on your experience/seniority, this role’s compensation is:
💵 Base Salary: $130,000 – $175,000
📈 Stock Options: 0.1% – 0.4%
Barley is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to building an equitable workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds to consider us as a potential employer. If you require any accommodation at any point during our virtual interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com